Must Obliterate!

03 Feb

Improving Chaos Obliterators.

I love Obliterators in Warhammer 40k. Their backgrounds’ rather spiffy, and in-game: powerful without being too overpowered (Though a little under costed I think, but thats a topic for another day). Quasi-Daemonic, Metamorphing man-tanks. Lovely.



The original models that came out with the 3rd ed Chaos marine codex were not great.

113px-Obliterator mini113px-Obliterator miniature

They got one hell of an improved sculpt when the current models were released.:

150px-Chaos Obliterator mini150px-Chaos Obliterator miniature

Better… but still….. not quite there I didn’t think. Too squat & short. Too much of a squatting in the bushes look about ’em.

After polling around a bit online, I found a couple of articles where people had converted obliterators to look a bit meatier. “Hah! I can do that” thinks I…

It’s an easy enough idea – just straighten out the legs, cut down on the amount of weapon muzzles on the arms for 2 reasons – 1) Aesthetically I think they look better; 2) Cut down to just energy weapon muzzles – more in line with the ‘current’ codex.

So, how did I do it?

First things first –

  • Equipment:
    • Hobby Drill with suitable bit
    • Florists wire
    • Razor/Hobby Saw
    • Hobby Vice
    • Superglue
    • Epoxy Putty – Greenstuff/kneadite or pro-create, or whatever takes your fancy really…
    • Sculpting tools (anything that’ll move the putty around really)
    • Gun muzzles. Lots of – I had a handy raid of one of my bits-box for that
  • Optional
    • Sticking plasters
    • List of suitable phrases for.. mishaps..
    • Willing assistant (Hello Dear!)

Step one – Dismember it.

Simple enough really, slap the obliterator in the vice & using the saw, take the legs off at the joints as below:


You will need to cut about half-way through from each side due to the angle of the joints, roughly along the black lines in the pictures above.

Once done, congratulate yourself with a cuppa while your willing assistant sticks the plasters on the new gash in your finger.

It’s around about here I remembered just how damn sharp the hobby saw’s are. (It’s only a flesh wound…)

That should then give you something like:


Step two- We can rebuild it.

Rejoining the legs is fairly straight forward – Drill a hole for the florists wire in each part of the legs.

Be careful to make sure there aligned reasonably well – at this stage you can twist & adjust the leg positioning to get both height & avoid a pigeon-toed look.


You should be able to see the green florists wire on the joints.

I also took the opportunity to get rid of the dopey looking heads that came with the obliterators. the replacement heads for these 2 came from a Chaos marine biker & a fantasy chaos warrior. They did need a fair bit of trimming to fit in the neck-socket of the armour.

Already at this stage they were looking nastier, and taller:

size comp 1

Step 3 – Putty Putty Putty

Next is just filling in the gaps in the joints with putty & texturing it to look like the daemonic pseudo-flesh the obliterators are covered in.

I found it was easier to do in 2 stages – first bulking out the joint, then once that putty had dried adding another layer on & using the sculpting tool to scribe in something that looked reasonable like the existing pseudo-flesh.


I used some of the putty to add pseudo-flesh to the heads as well, just to blend them in a bit better.

The arms were simple enough. add the barrels (After removing them from your fingers, as the superglue sticks the barrel to fingers, desk, beard, cat, ceiling and passing pigeon. In short everything apart from the original model) & use putty to cover up some of the rougher looking spots.

For one of the arms I transplanted three-quarters of the double chainfist arm from the Terminator Chaos Lord onto an obliterator’s shoulder-pad & covered it with pseudo-flesh to help it blend in.



size comp2size comp3


and heres a happy photo of them mostly painted:


Alongside a loyalist marine for scale, the sheer size of the things becomes apparent.

Now I realise in the current rules, the larger models would have more problems finding cover due to the LOS rules, however:

  • I figure there supposed to be huge in any case
  • Personally it’s not an issue – when we do play the modern rules we ignore that & use LOS based off of a models base-size
  • They look a lot cooler.

I’ve found in this size, they do draw a lot more fire in-game, which is handy as it means there not shooting at the faster, more mobile units.

Happy Gaming!!



Posted by on February 3, 2010 in Conversions


Tags: , , , ,

6 responses to “Must Obliterate!

  1. Big Jim

    February 7, 2010 at 11:40 pm

    Great little article, I have done the same conversion for my Oblits.


    • Ady

      February 8, 2010 at 7:18 pm

      In truth, it was your converted Oblits that gave me the idea…

      • Big Jim

        February 8, 2010 at 7:48 pm

        Very Kool, I am glad that my conversion could be a source of inspiration for you!


  2. Bob McEwen

    February 24, 2010 at 8:56 pm

    Hi, i just thought i’d post and let you know your blogs layout is really messed up on the K-Melon browser. Anyhow keep up the good work.

  3. MichaelloHQ

    May 30, 2010 at 11:05 am

    I’m looking forward to getting more information about this topic, don’t worry about negative opinions.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: